Thursday, November 5, 2009

The golden apple Vienna

Instead of spending another day in Salzburg, I headed for the capital of Austria, Vienna.
Popped out of the hostel @ 6am to be ushered by a heavy downpour again. When will it ever stop raining when I'm travelling! HAHA but this time i'm armed with my mighty umbrella which always flip to the other side whenever a strong gast of wine blow.

Took a train to Vienna which was just 2hrs 40mins away on express train. Arrived in Vienna at about 10am and the initial fine weather was gone! Goodnesss! When I got off the train it was nice & sunny, after going to the information counter to get my bearings, it rained like mad. Blehhh:(

Nevertheless, Vienna is great. Love the architecture of this capital. Big brands such as LV, Gucci & Escada dressed the old town building. Even the H&M here looked classier then anywhere else I've been. Ok I admit I'm addicted to H&M. Who wouldn't?! We don't have it in singapore excuse me! Haha what are they waiting for?!

No time for shopping this time round, headed straight for the St Stephan Dom in central vienna. Another gothic church awaits our visit, nothing spectacular about this one. The interior was kinda gloomy and already filled with tourists and students on tours.Next stop the Hofburg, imperial palace. I love the front of the palace, big, grand and magnificantly huge. Inside, several museums await, but I went to the 'Sissi' museum only.
Sissi, the nickname for empress Elizabeth. On display in the first floor are millions of exquisitely designed china & silverware that was used decades ago by this royal family. Some were made of gold while most are porcelein.The Kaiserapartments on the upper floor of the museum told the life story of sissi. There were clothes she wore, jewelleries, and even her toys she had as a child. Also, there is a death mask of her. Interesting huh?

Moving in, there are furnished rooms portraying Sissi and Franz Joseph study, bedroom, saloons, dining, etc. No photos are allowed in that floor. I didn't secretly snap any photos just in case she haunts me. So those displays are only for me to see and admire. Go visit it if u want to see.

Indeed, time flies, by the time I am done with that museum, it was almost time to go home. But there's of course still time to catch lunch! Yumyum extra huge giant Wienner Schitzel that was pertruding out of my plate. Yummy good to look at cakes in a teahouse near the hofburg is another one I love! While having lunch, I overheard an American say, "man this town is making me fat" indeed! That's so true, looking at that huge piece of cutlet and yummy cakes, how can one resist!

I headed to the station to await the train that will send me home from this pretty city to oestrich winkel, only to realize there is another later and faster train home. with another hour to spare, I headed to the cafe nearby the bahnhof for an Austrian coffehouse experience.
And now, I'm on my way 'home'. Blogging from the ICE train with my convenient iPhone.

Vienna is definitely a place I'll want to visit again:)

With happy butterflies in your tummy (:
Iphoned

No comments: